Sunday 24 April 2016

COP2 - Idea 2

As my first idea didn't quite work out for me, I proceeded onto another idea I had sketched out earlier. This idea is based around the Lego campaign (I discussed the Lego campaign in another blog post). The Lego campaign to me captured the essence of what It meant to be creative and imaginative. Using the imagination to create endless possibilities and that's what Lego is trying to express with their adverts. The idea of looking beyond the inanimate object to see the possibilities that come alive in the users mind and this is what I'm trying to communicate within this idea.



Lego



For the previous idea I used photographs to represent the text within for each poster. For example "A camera for the adventure", "bigger battery for life's moments" and so on. Instead of photographs I decided to create isometric illustrations to represent each piece of text. The style and aesthetics of the illustrations link heavily to the way Phoneblok is designed and build. Phoneblok has a brutalist/block-type style with a neutral colour scheme and this is the kind of style I wanted for the illustrations. For the text "A camera for the adventure" I created a camera for this text.

The illustrations were also created within an isometric grid to represent the phones structural properties. Creating illustration within an isometric grid is a skill that I learnt in the responsive module while creating a book cover for A Clockwork Orange and I saw the connections between the two briefs, which is the main reason for using the grid.


This is the camera being created within the Isometric grid. 


Once the camera Illustration was created I then proceeded to mock it up within a poster form to see how it will look on the page. To represent what I had seen on the Lego adverts I wanted to replicate that in some form on the posters. I wanted users to see the creative potential Phonebloks contains. It's not just a phone but it can be whatever you want and whenever you want, all you need to do is build for any occasion as the tagline suggests. The camera is essentially demonstrating what the user can turn the phone into hypothetically if the user needs a better camera. But to further the creative appeal I needed more then just an illustrative image of a camera. Therefore, similar to Lego I created a shadow of the camera that form into a mountain with two people at the peak. This reflective shadow demonstrates the need for the camera. Essentially the camera and the shadow both play important rolls within the posters to represent the concept of a buildable phone to enrich peoples lives. The camera is representing what the phone can be used as and the shadow coming off the camera explains to the user what scenario they could use the camera for. The mountain peak also demonstrates an imaginative appeal, directly appealing to the users creative outlets, imagining what adventures they could go on if they had Phonebloks.

Implementing 8 hidden needs

In the previous blog post about my first idea I gave an insight into how the hidden needs have been strategically placed within the add to maximise the appeal for the consumer. As this idea hasn't necessarily been completely changed some desires are still in place within this idea. However, the main concern is the fact that I've removed the photographs. The photographs contained a lot of the hidden desires within them, such as Immortality, security and worth. This is because photos say a thousand words and can emotionally appeal to the users directly. Users can look at a photograph and see the story and hidden meaning behind it and you just can't get that with illustrations or text. Illustration are very subjective, the user has to interpret them in their own way and sometimes if the illustration aren't clear enough then the message can become lost. This is a big concern when it comes to how well this idea uses the 8 hidden needs to strengthen the concept and persuade and influence the consumers to buy the Phonebloks. However, this is something that needs further investigating and testing to truly discover if the adverts work or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment